So, how can I get one?
There are a variety of ways you can get a job but the key to securing employment is to stay positive and have a go-get attitude, because it doesn’t always happen overnight.
How to get a job
Job seeking advice
Hints, tips and progression
What could I gain from a job?
- Money… earning your own money gives you more freedom, but also brings responsibility!
- Friends/Colleagues… meet new people who could become lifelong friends
- Confidence… a big boost to your self confidence and recognising that you’re valued for what you can bring to the table
- Transferable Skills… even if you don’t stay at that company forever, you’ll learn skills which you can take with you and apply to other roles or businesses
- Experience… get that all important experience and unlock future opportunities
Thinking of a career in the construction industry?
Check out CITB (Construction Industry Training Board)
CITB can help you access the right qualifications, training and skills to develop your career in construction.
Need guidance on how to land your dream job? Want to progress in the industry? Take a look at the CITB careers progression tool, developed especially to support you with your goals.
Check out the CITB website for everything you need to know about starting, working and progressing in the construction industry.
Interested in a construction apprenticeship? Check out bconstructive
Remember: go techno as well as retro
Use the old school methods
– Look at the job sections in both national and local newspapers
– Join a local recruitment agency, explain what type of employment you would like, your skills and your availability
– Contact your local careers advisor service for guidance, support and advice on job seeking
– Use your initiative and be pro-active, keep your eyes open for local vacancies advertised in windows notice boards etc and try handing out your CV and cover letter – its worth a shot!
– Network, pop along to local recruitment events
"Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement"− Helen Keller
"Every new day is another chance to change your life"− Anonymous
tSpace’s Top 5 Tips:
Job Seeking Advice:
1. Are you prepared to start your job hunt?
– Have you got a strong CV? And do you know how to write a successful Cover Letter?
– Do you know what area location is realistic for you to find work in?
2. Focus your job search, it will be a lot easier for you to find a job in an industry that you like and your skills apply to
3. Don’t apply for a job as soon as you find it…
-Research the company
-Identify your skills against the candidate requirements in the job advertisement
-Ensure you have fully understood the job role, requirements, expectations and responsibilities
4. Think outside the box and be proactive!
5. Remain positive throughout your job hunt, it is not going to be easy but it will pay off in the end
Hints, Tips & Progression
Want to get a job? these links will help...
Want to start applying for jobs? You’re going to need a stand out CV and a strong Cover Letter. Click the link to view our CV & Cover Letter section.
Time to brush up on those interview skills? Visit our helpful section with the best interview hints and tips.
To ensure you have the best chance of securing employment visit our skills section to find out how you can improve your skill set.